[c-nsp] shaping: which platform to choose and where to place

Mark Pace Balzan mpb at melitacable.com
Wed Oct 3 12:15:53 EDT 2007

Hi,

> Are there another platforms (Cisco and other
> vendors) which
> could shape such amount of customers on 100 Mbit/s and higher speeds?

The C7200 as you mention would do shaping for you.
Shaping, BGP, and NAT on a NPE-G1 with 200Mbps traffic in my experience
is pushing the performace of the box a little more that I would be
comfortable with.  Havent played with the G2 so far.

You can also have a look at dedicated DPI boxes.
Cisco does the SCE (previously pcube), and there are many others:
packeteer, allot, sandvine
These may be nice as they are L2 bridges that don't require drastic
topology changes.
However I believe it works our more expensive that a c7200

> In case of cisco I am thinking about 7200 router. Can anybody
> tell what
> number of shapers/policers are supported on 2811 and 7200 and
> how well could
> 7200 perform shaping of such amount of customers on that speed in real
> environment?

With those features enabled (bgp,qos,nat) you'll reach the CPU limit
before you reach any policer limits.

Cheers

Mark