[c-nsp] PA-MC-T3 and capacity questions

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Fri Oct 5 07:54:57 EDT 2007

Troy Beisigl wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have 2 quick questions about capacity issues when using PA-MC-T3 cards and
> the ability to do MLPPP. We currently have 5 PA-MC-T3 cards in a 7507/RSP8
> chassis and I would like to be able to move onto either a higher capacity
> chassis or split things between two chassis. If we go the route of multiple
> chassis, I would need something like a M313 MUX that could take 6 or more
> DS3 circuits in and re-map them to different channels on DS3 ports coming
> out to the different chassis. This is due to the MLPPP needs and multiple
> carriers these circuits are coming from. If we go with a larger capacity
> chassis, I am thinking of changing over to OC3c circuits from the carriers
> to ensure that we would not have capacity issues down the road.
>

> So my questions are,
>

> A.	What would be the recommended M313 MUX for this in the case of split
> chassis?

Well, firstly, its channelised OC3 and not OC3c (big difference, the "c"
in OC3c means concatenated, i.e a single large payload)

Well, terminating channelised OC3 circuits is not cheap on cisco I'm
afraid, the PA-MC-STM-1SMI will not do sonet framing or carry T1s, it
will only do SDH and carry E1s.

If you want to terminte OC3 with sonet then its expensive GSR or ESR
linecards I'm afraid.

If you want a decent mux , I would recommend the RAD Optimux 1553

(http://www.rad.com/Article/0,6583,33235-SDH_SONET_Terminal_Multiplexers,00.html)

which will take three channelised DS3s and make you an channelised OC3.

> B.	Going with a larger capacity chassis, what would be recommended for
> doing this via OC3c handoffs or would it be better to stay with CT3 ports?

I would stay with CT3 until cisco come up with a cost effective
channelised OC3 solution.

If you are lucky enough to operate out of europe and consume E1s ,
PA-MC-STM1-SMI and C7200 can be affordable.

Dave.