[c-nsp] rate-limiting a vlan interface on cat 6000

Ruben Alvarez raa at opusnet.com
Mon Oct 8 20:06:42 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm attempting to rate-limit an interface VLAN on my Catalyst 6509 w/sup2
(IOS 12.2).  At first I tried a policy-map, but I get an error when I try to
apply the policy-map in the output direction:

MQC features are not supported in output direction for this interface

I tried it the other way by using the rate-limit command on the int vlan,
but that doesn't seem to be working at all.  If I do a sh int vlan 651
rate-limit, I would expect to see conformed and exceed packets but there are
not.  It's for a 10Mbps MOE service so I don't have a physical interface to
apply this to- just the int vlan.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to police or rate-limit this
interface?  Thanks.  Below is the int config:

Rate-limiting:

interface Vlan651
 ip address 172.17.17.3
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 rate-limit input 5242880 262144 262144 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
 rate-limit output 5242880 262144 262144 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

policy map:

class-map match-all Cust01
 match any

policy-map vlan-651
 class Cust01
 police cir 5242500 bc 262144 be 262144 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop violate-action drop

interface Vlan651
 ip address 172.17.17.3
 no ip redirects