[c-nsp] DSL router recommendation

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:41:48 EDT 2007

> Get the ethernet ones only. Your provider can provide the dsl/atm
> modem/bridge.
>
> Much more flexible and likely to be more reliable, [...]

I can't second that.

It is more flexible (what if we switch to cable internet...), but not
likely to be more reliable.  Add to that the mess of more wires due to the
daisy chaining and increased complexity in troubleshooting (is it the
modem or the router?).

Here in the N.E. of the US we get primarily ADSL from or resold from AT&T.
Bog standard.  Over the years, SNET/SBC/AT&T has supplied consumer grade
speedstream or netopia equipment and neither has been stellar from a
quality standpoint.

Lately they supply a Netopia 3346N mini router/adsl modem unit that can
also be configured as a bridge (plain dsl modem).  For a while these
devices came with an underspeced power supply which resulted in higher
spec circuits spontaneously dropping and retraining.  Rev2 of this
hardware fixed this...

One time a SBC tech was out troubleshooting why a line was intermittently
dropping on a line with the older speedstream CPE.  The noise profile was
marginal and it was the speedstream equipment was at fault (admittedly
years in service).  Cisco hardware with an adsl wic card was brought in to
replace and noise profile became close to perfect.  IOS also has atm and
pppoe debugging which the consumer grade telco equipment lacks.

You are guaranteed compatibility when using telco supplied service but I
would say this is a negligible advantage.  Cisco makes it pretty clear
which dslams they are compatible with and if it turns out to not work,
just RMA...  The only real minus I can think of is lack of auto vpi/vci
(maybe they are just pre-programmed in the telco CPE?) and those aren't
that hard to get.

~JasonG