[c-nsp] CEF CPUHOG on GSR 12.0(S)

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Oct 14 14:13:01 EDT 2007

David Freedman <> wrote on Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:34 PM:

> Recently we've been seeing some messages in the log with regards to
> a CPUHOG event occuring on some engine 2 linecards we have running.
>
> It didn't seem to be traffic affecting, and looked a little like this:
>
> SLOT 6:Oct 12 03:17:41 DST: %SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task ran for 7312 msec
> (0/0), process = CEF LC IPC Background, PC = 400FC324.
>
> Box is running 12.0(32)S5 and has not logged these messages before.
>
> This slot faces an upstream provider.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but can you send the complete
messages (incl. the tracebacks) and a "show ver" so we can decode the
message?
Finding the trigger is the key to diagnose this further (and looking at
the cef events will help). CEF LC IPC Background is responsible to
process all CEF IPC messages from the RSP, so this could be almost
anything.

	oli