[c-nsp] CEF CPUHOG on GSR 12.0(S)

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Mon Oct 15 03:08:27 EDT 2007

It could be this too:

CSCea12960
Externally found enhancement (Sev6) bug: Assigned (A)
Short mask prefixes cause CPUHOG in CEF LC IPC Background

In an network environment which has a default route (0.0.0.0/0) present, the
advertisement of a short mask prefix (x.x.x.x/1) will result in a CPUHOG
on Engine 4 or Engine4+ linecards each time the route is advertised or
withdrawn.

%SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task ran for 3660 msec (1/1), process = CEF LC IPC Background,
PC = 400DC1D0.

This behaviour is seen on IOS releases 12.0(21)S onwards.

Workaround: Prefix filters in BGP applied at the edge of the network can be used
to block short mask prefixes. This will not prevent the route being advertised
via an IGP.

--
Tassos