[c-nsp] iBGP between PE and CE

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Oct 18 03:01:41 EDT 2007

Pshem Kowalczyk <> wrote on Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:20 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I have a small problem with a iBGP on PE-CE link. The setup's been
> 'inherited' but never caused us trouble until the requirements
> recently changed slightly (it's a bit boring story). To cut it short,
> we have the following setup:
>
> (CE1)--ibgp--(PE1)--mpbgp--(P)--mpbgp--(PE2)--ibgp--(CE2)
>
> (the PE2 and CE2 is the new addition).
[...]
> We have exactly the same setup with eBGP on the fringes and that
> obviously works fine. The question is - how to make it go with that
> setup (if it's possible at all)?
[..]

IOS doesn't support iBGP as PE-CE routing protocol. What is your
reasoning running iBGP across the MPLS cloud, i.e. what is the topology?
Not sure if it works in your environment, but if you use an outbound
route-map on your vpnv4 MP-iBGP connection and set the next-hop to the
PE's loopback, I've seen it work when I tried this in the lab a long
while back. next-hop-self doesn't help as this only affects eBGP learned
paths.
Consider changing the setup to use eBGP.

	oli