[c-nsp] QoS Design Question

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Oct 18 03:01:42 EDT 2007

Patrick Greene <> wrote on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:45 PM:

> Thanks for any contributions here.
>

> This is hypothetical and not production.  Assume a single company with
> hundreds of remote sites.  With today's MPLS environments you have
> 100's of sites(T1's) coming back into a single physical
> interface(DS3) on the router. I am applying my QoS policies outbound
> on my core router interface to manage my 3 classes of traffic:
> voice,LOB apps, and default.   The voice gets 5Mbps, LOB applications
> get  10Mbps on and default gets the rest.  The remote sites all have
> T1's and I allocate 128Kbps to voice, 512MB to Signaling and LOB
> applications, and default for all other apps.  This too is applied
> outbound on the serial interface.  How do I keep the default
> applications from overrunning the INBOUND LOB applications.   Do I
> need to apply my QoS policy  inbound on the Serial interface instead
> of outbound? Won't that affect VOIP quality if I don't have outbound
> policies.

not sure if I understand the topology and the problem. Assuming you have

  hub -- PE -- (mpls) -- PE -- spoke

you apply outgoing policies on the hub->PE and on the PE->spoke as well
as on the spoke->PE and PE->hub direction (and obviously within the MPLS
cloud), you will be able to protect voice, won't you? Not sure what you
mean by "overrunning the INBOUND LOB"?

	oli