[c-nsp] QoS Design Question

Patrick Greene patrickg at layer8llc.com
Wed Oct 17 17:45:04 EDT 2007

Thanks for any contributions here.

This is hypothetical and not production.  Assume a single company with
hundreds of remote sites.  With today's MPLS environments you have 100's of
sites(T1's) coming back into a single physical interface(DS3) on the router.
I am applying my QoS policies outbound on my core router interface to manage
my 3 classes of traffic: voice,LOB apps, and default.   The voice gets
5Mbps, LOB applications get  10Mbps on and default gets the rest.  The
remote sites all have T1's and I allocate 128Kbps to voice, 512MB to
Signaling and LOB applications, and default for all other apps.  This too is
applied outbound on the serial interface.  How do I keep the default
applications from overrunning the INBOUND LOB applications.   Do I need to
apply my QoS policy  inbound on the Serial interface instead of outbound?
Won't that affect VOIP quality if I don't have outbound policies.

Thanks,

Patrick