[c-nsp] PPPoE and DHCP

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Sat Oct 20 17:13:42 EDT 2007

Duracom Lists wrote:
> This is my first post on this list.
>
> I have a Cisco 7206vxr Router which I am using to terminate DSL connections
> on my ATM DS3 via PPPoE.  I have everything setup and working properly, but
> I am wanting to use my DHCP server instead of using the IP Pool on the cisco
> router.  Is this possible?  I am including my current config as it pertains
> to the DSL connections.

Using DHCP to hand out IP's for PPPoX clients is a bit of a cobb.  The
router is going to have to track all the leases and handle all of the
renewal stuff on the part of the clients.  This might work ok for simple
things like VPN PPTP connections etc., but if you're looking for any
type of large scale broadband deployment, I'd stay clear of it.

The better choice (as mentioned before) is to use IP pools on the
router, which you can specify per virtual template or back as a VSA from
the RADIUS server. (along with statics and other things).

If you really want to use DHCP, maybe you should scrap PPPoX and just
use RBE.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC