[c-nsp] Performance: NPE-G2 and 3560

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Oct 20 06:43:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 08:22:38PM -0400, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
>         I have two performance questions.
>
>         First, I heard that the 7200 with a NPE-G2 drops to 10% of spec (from 2Mpps to 200Kpps) with BGP and a few ACLs enabled. Is that accurate? Am I crazy to think I could get 30% of spec out of any software router doing BGP and some ACLs?

BGP-or-not should not have any noticeable impact on a CEF-based platform.

(While the BGP process is working, you'll see high CPU load, but that's
what the CPU is there for: *work*, if there is work to do.  Packet forwarding
with CEF isn't affected by that).

ACLs will have an effect of course, but usually (unless the ACL is thousands
of lines long) not a "factor 10" effect.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de