[c-nsp] Cisco's MVPN solution with or without MDT SAFI

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 06:20:15 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:17 +0200, Oliver, Rod wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on a project with which requires a deployment of MVPNs. We
> are struggling with whether or not we need to upgrade the PE and route
> reflectors in order to support the MDT SAFI.
>
> In the lab we can make things work both with and without the MDT SAFI.
> As far as I can understand the reasoning for moving to a deployment of
> MVPN with the MDT SAFI was that the pre-MDT SAFI use of extended
> communities was non-standard and could clash with the use of 4-byte AS
> in VPNv4 routes, and that it would also preclude inter-AS MVPNs. This is
> based on a reading of
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6604/products_white_paper0900aecd8
> 0581f3d.shtml.
>
> We have no requirement for inter-AS MVPNs and there will be no 4-byte
> ASNs associated with routes in the MVPNs deployed. Does this mean that
> we would be safe in the deployment of extended communities-based
> solution?

Yes (in a cisco-only environment).

Also note, as I was reminded recently on this list - the MDT SAFI and
pre-standard extended communities are only required if using SSM in the
P-space. When using ASM in the P-space, the RP will send the MTI PIM
packets initially down *,g and the other MVPN members will then execute
an s,g join.