[c-nsp] 7507 crashes

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Mon Oct 22 11:26:35 EDT 2007

Just an update:

I had tried two sets of AC power supplies, different chassis, VIP, RSP,
port adaptors with no improvement. Regular VIP crashes and random reboots.

I went to a pair of DC power supplies, wired to a 25 amp Lorain
rectifier (who also made the cisco DC power supplies), and the system is
rock solid now.

The Lorain rectifier power supply doesn't even have a battery string
hooked up. The rectifier has some massive capacitors in it, enough to
make car audio people get warm and fuzzy looking at it.

The cisco is drawing about 6 amps of DC power and seems to be a little
quieter, as the AC power supplies had big fans in them I think.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:18:21AM -0400, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 10:26:03AM -0400, jp wrote:
> > We have a 7507/rsp4/vip2-50 with fast ethernet and ATM t3 card doing ATM
> > over t3 for DSL termination.
>
> You have probably seen my emails already about a 75xx doing DSL termination.
> :)
>

> Before we go down the below path can you post a crashinfo from the
> RSP or VIP so we can look at it?
>
>  Whenever the power flickers a tiny bit (not
> > enough to activate the UPS), and sometimes the UPS switchover itself,
> > the 7507 will either crash the VIP card or reboot. I have a portmaster
> > hooked to the RSP console port so I can remotely see what happens
> > anytime. The 7507 has dual AC power supplies. A nice UPS would be solve
> > it, but we need monster run time that normal UPS's don't provide, and an
> > autostart generator is not suitable for this site.
> >
> > We have the tripplite APS power backup units connected to big AGM deep
> > cycle batteries. It does provide good backup time and power, but the
> > switchover between utility and battery is not 100% transparent. All our
> > other gear at the site must have big enough capacitors in the power
> > supply that it does not seem to matter.
> >
> > Would DC power supplies be more apt to smoothly power the cisco? I've
> > got an old lorain 25amp rectifier that seems like it should power it and
> > some batteries fine. It had powered an old tadiran PBX that was bigger
> > than a 4-draw filing cabinet.
> >
> > Is this a good way to go, or should I be chasing down some other path?
> >
> > --
> > /*
> > Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
> >     KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
> >  http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
> > */

/*