[c-nsp] BFD feedback?

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Tue Oct 23 13:50:25 EDT 2007

BFD is a lifesaver where you have circuits such as metro ethernet
links that don't lose link state when something in the middle blocks
connectivity. It's less useful across WAN links that depend on end-to-
end connectivity to maintain line protocol.

As Arie, said, the hardest part of implementation is the timer
tuning, to get the best balance of response time vs. CPU utilization
as well as preventing false timeouts, another side effect of setting
the timers too low.

That said, I do feel that tying BFD to routing protocol events only
is a bit shortsighted - why not have an option to just change line
protocol to down in a case of BFD timeout failure, and let the
routing protocols react the that naturally?

-C