[c-nsp] Risk of enabling ip accounting

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Oct 26 13:01:15 EDT 2007

Mike Louis wrote:
> 4948s support netflow in later versions of code. Couldnt' you use that instead.

Unfortunately this isn't true at all. 4948s are SupV based, which by
itself needs NetFlow daughter card to be able to count and export
NetFlow packets. The daughter card doesn't fit into 1U so no, 4948
can't export NetFlow. It's possible however that there's in CLI and
parser accepts it - as usual IOS parser may not actualy reflect
what's supported and what's not. In this case you'd propably get
NetFlow exports only for traffic hitting RP (not processed in hardware).

By the way, it's listed officially as unsupported feature in latest
release notes here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_9592.html#wp363642

--
"I am a part of everything that I have  |               Łukasz Bromirski
  read." -- Theodore Roosevelt           |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net