[c-nsp] c3560 L3 throughput with BGP

Primoz Jeroncic jp at softnet.si
Mon Oct 29 05:06:50 EDT 2007

Hi guys

We have to change c7206 NPE300 with something faster. We are limited to
3HU box, so one option would be Cat3560 or 3750. I can't test this
myself, unless I just put box into production and hope for the best, so
I would appreciate any comment from people who use those two boxes in
similar situation. Few requirements which these boxes need to support
are following.

1. Handling approximately 500Mbps each way (about 1Gbp total throughput)
2. Handling BGP peerings with up to 20 peers with total of 200-300 prefixes
3. Complete BGP support (communities, filtering etc.)
4. Of course boxes are basically acting as router, so both ports are
separate L3 ports.

That's about it.

So is anyone running c3560 or c3750 in similar conditions? If so, how
do they behave? My main concern is high cpu load with such amount of
traffic.

Thanks for help.

Have nice rest of day,
Primoz Jeroncic
Support - IP Connectivity & Routing
Softnet d.o.o.  tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |
Borovec 2       fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |       1 + 1 = 3
1236 Trzin      primoz(at)softnet.si     | for larger values of 1
Slovenija       http://flea.softnet.si/