[c-nsp] Understanding TCAM/route limitations in the GSR..

John van Oppen john at vanoppen.com
Tue Oct 30 02:12:42 EDT 2007

I needed an answer to this question too and from what I can tell the
answer is as follows:

The GRP-B is just a route processor, so the only limitation is ram and
CPU speed...   assuming convergence times are not an issue, once it runs
out of ram, you have a problem...    As of today, I am running about 170
MB free on my GRP-B with the most bgp peers (2 full routes + 80 peers +
5 customers + 8 internal routers).

Engine0 linecards are not TCAM limited as they run in software, so when
the card runs out of ram, that is the limit of its TCAM.   We have 256
MB of ram on all our engine0 cards, they run with about 100 MB of free
ram as of today.

Engine2 cards (three port gigE) for example have already run out of TCAM
if they are running ACLs or MPLS.   With a straight IPv4 table and no
ACLs ours seem to run right at 30% utilization (show ip cef resource).
The newer cards have larger TCAMs.

If I missed anything, please add it...  Then newer cards will have to be
commented-on by others as we don't have any data as our network is
mostly the older cards.

John van Oppen
Spectrum Networks LLC
206.973.8302 (Direct)