[c-nsp] OT: Allied Telesis FTTx users

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Tue Oct 30 17:35:45 EDT 2007

Justin,

We've only dealt with AT's fibre converters and low-end L2 switches in the past. Found the converters to be great and the switches ok. (they were cheapies, for an implementation where that was a requirement.)

The biggest issue we've had with AT in Australia is having them meet equipment lead times. In a number of instances, equipment we've ordered with an expected 2-4 week lead time has blown out to months and it took significant prodding by the distributor we were buying from to get their hands on the gear at all.

Haven't dealt with any failures of kit so can't comment on the support. Personally I'd look at which solutions, AT or otherwise are proven in the field and have a track record of reliability. (which I guess is what you're asking here.) If there's no record of reliability I'd lean toward an alternative solution.

For last mile fibre rollouts where cost needs to be kept low, we've been happy with the RAD ETX units - even if the interface is pretty clunky to use.

Regards,
Brad