[c-nsp] Cisco noob -- design guidance request

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Sun Sep 2 10:22:18 EDT 2007

On Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 08:16:14AM -0600, David L. West wrote:
> Thanks. I think I screwed up buying the hardware though. I have a 2960G-24TC
> as the core switch in the server room, a 2960-48TT for the first floor, and
> a 3548XL for the 3rd. Only the last is Layer 3.
>
> Reading your message and doing further research I begin to suspect I have to
> have Layer 3 switches throughout for this all to work.

No - you just need one Layer 3 device, with an interface in each subnet.
Neither the 2960G nor the 3548XL is a Layer 3 device, so you'll need to find
a router from somewhere, and trunk all the vlans into that to do the routing
between them, and to the outside world.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *