[c-nsp] Cisco noob -- design guidance request

David L. West nntp at deskoptional.com
Sun Sep 2 10:48:01 EDT 2007

> No - you just need one Layer 3 device, with an interface in each subnet.
> Neither the 2960G nor the 3548XL is a Layer 3 device, so you'll need to
> find
> a router from somewhere, and trunk all the vlans into that to do the
> routing
> between them, and to the outside world.

If I understand you correctly, its the absense of a Layer 3 device that
makes a router necessary. Thus my choices are:

    a) get a layer 3 device and let it handle this
    b) do the interVLAN routing on the server
    c) get a dedicated router to handle the interVLAN routing

Do I have that right, or do I need to do more reading?