[c-nsp] Router Suggestion for console access?

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Tue Sep 4 14:56:22 EDT 2007

> > 2511s are cheap on eBay too, I see no reason to pay more per port
> > for anything else.
>
> We also prefer the 2511 for this, actually the 2511-RJ to avoid
> the octapus cables.  The down-side is the general lack of SSH on
> the IOS versions that support the 2511s.

The downside is alot bigger than that, given that End of Renewal for
them is less than a year away. Of all devices, a console server is
certainly one I'd want to make sure got updates to PSIRT issues....
I liked the AS2511-RJ as well and still have plenty in service, but
its been time to move on for quite awhile.

A 2801 (since unfortunately it was decided to limit the 1841 to a
HWIC-8A), with a nice breakout panel, ie:

 http://www.networkcable.com/PatchPanels/hwic.cfm

...and you've got a very nice replacement.