[c-nsp] Learning Resources...

Raymond Macharia rmacharia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 05:51:51 EDT 2007

Hello Justine,
first I would suggest that you sign up for some of the network mailing lists
and you can also review the archives for any specific issues, Cisco NSP is a
good start there are others like NANOG ( more for service providers but the
principles apply to large networks as well) etc, if you can do get a few
networking books that would be useful as well, check the oreilly range, they
are generic and not vendor equipment specific and usually thorough and
finally make the net your friend. below is a list of websites that I pulled
out of a mailing list, cannot take the credit for it, someone else did the
wonderful work:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Change+Management
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Network+Management
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Daily-Operations-tasks+network

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Change+Order
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Trouble-Ticketing-system
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=escalation+procedures
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=troubleshooting+processes
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=backup+procedures
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Network-Inventory
http://www.networkingbooks.org/

The Cisco site has also a huge repository of documents that you can
search through that deal with Networking in general for example:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/introint.htm

Regards

Raymond

On 9/5/07, Justin Scott <jscott at gravityfree.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon, sorry if this is off-topic.  I've been a network/systems
> administrator for small networks for several years, so small that they
> generally only have one router out to the public Internet and that's
> about as advanced as I've dealt with.  I'm trying to learn more about
> higher-level networking (not systems admin) for larger organizations and
> am looking for any educational resources you all might recommend.
> Anything from general networking theory and practices down to selecting
> specific equipment for specific situations would be useful as I try to
> wrap my head around everything.  Thanks in advance.
>

> -Justin Scott

Raymond Macharia