[c-nsp] Multiple T1 IMA / Channelized DS3

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Sep 6 08:08:04 EDT 2007

Yes it does.  Since we don't bother with redundant DC power in
our setup we connect both inputs together - but if you only
connect 1 input, only card is powered, connect only the other
input and only the other card is powered, etc.  So if you were
running an unattended NOC you would probably do redundant dc power.

We looked into the Adtran products as well but unlike Telco
systems, Adtran makes you maintain a service contract (without
hardware replacement of course) to get firmware
updates, and documentation.  That's fine if you have plenty of
money, or like a lot of telcos (it seems) your blithly spending
someone else's money.  Or, if your dealing with a device like a
router that is accessible to the public and thus must have
periodic security updates on it.  It is rather rediculous when
your talking about a piece of circuit gear that is layer 2
only and is never touched after installation.  Kind of like
getting a service contract on a UPS.  In our case we just bought
an extra one for sparing.

Ted