[c-nsp] L2TPv3 and PA-4E

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Sep 6 23:36:21 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 21:06, Vincent De Keyzer wrote:
>
> > The fact is that I can create a .1q interface on a PA-4E
> > port -...
>
> Just curious; does the 802.1Q encapsulation actually work on
> this PA?

Yup! I just verified it between a 7204 (with PA-8E's and a PA-4E)
via a 2924XL to a 3640:

home-c7204#show ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Ethernet1/0                unassigned      YES unset  up                    up
Ethernet1/0.69             192.168.69.2    YES manual up                    up
Ethernet1/1                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Ethernet1/2                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Ethernet1/3                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
Ethernet2/0                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
..

then:

home-c7204#show run int eth1/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 57 bytes
!
interface Ethernet1/0
 no ip address
 duplex full
end

home-c7204#show run int eth1/0.69
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 121 bytes
!
interface Ethernet1/0.69
 encapsulation dot1Q 69
 ip address 192.168.69.2 255.255.255.0
 no snmp trap link-status
end

Whether it passes full-sized dot1q frames is left as an exercise to the reader.

Adrian

> IIRC, IOS did not originally support 802.1Q on 10Mbps-only
> Ethernet interface; you required Fast Ethernet.
>
> However, I recall a bulletin that was issued for its support
> on the on-board 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces for the
> 2610/11/12.
>
> It would be interesting to learn the PA-4E is supported (I
> haven't worked with this PA before).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark.

- $25/pm entry-level bandwidth-capped VPSes available in WA -