[c-nsp] Routing recommendations

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Sep 10 01:13:20 EDT 2007

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Matthew Crocker wrote:

> I don't need the packet rate except to survive a DDoS,  1gbps @
> 64byte packets = 2.3Mpps which Cisco says the NPE-G2 can do. My
> normal data rates are an order of magnitude less in PPS.  I have
> multiple upstreams,  My plan is to get a 7201 (or J-series) for each
> upstream, basically dedicate a router per upstream.  2 GigE
> upstreams,  2 routers, GigE link between the two (iBGP) .  I like the
> 7201 with 4 GigEs,  1 for upstream, 1 for x-router link, 2 for HSRP
> to core switches.

2.3 Mpps with a NPE-G2 at full routing table, I don't even think Cisco
markering would say that should work.

I'd recommend a used Cisco 7304 instead, or a 7604 with Sup720 and a 6724
LC, but that's also a bit overkill.

Otoh if you already have an Engine 2 or Engine 3 gig card in that 12008 of
yours, it's a good packet mover and you should stick with it.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se