[c-nsp] Routing recommendations

Matthew Crocker mcrocker at crocker.com
Sun Sep 9 22:36:38 EDT 2007

I don't need the packet rate except to survive a DDoS,  1gbps @
64byte packets = 2.3Mpps which Cisco says the NPE-G2 can do. My
normal data rates are an order of magnitude less in PPS.  I have
multiple upstreams,  My plan is to get a 7201 (or J-series) for each
upstream, basically dedicate a router per upstream.  2 GigE
upstreams,  2 routers, GigE link between the two (iBGP) .  I like the
7201 with 4 GigEs,  1 for upstream, 1 for x-router link, 2 for HSRP
to core switches.

-Matt

On Sep 9, 2007, at 9:33 PM, Howard Leadmon wrote:

>  If you really need that high packet rate, then I would agree the
> 7201 sounds
> like a great solution.  I was considering a 7201 myself, but ended
> up with an
> 7206/NPE-G2, as I also had the need for several T1's, and a T3, so
> the extra
> slots are handy.
>
>  If your only going to have one transit point into the router, not
> sure I see
> the need for the full BGP table, and if you could avoid that, there
> are some
> nice switches that would really fit a GE only environment..
>

> ---
> Howard Leadmon

>>> 1 GigE to my core switch and 1 GigE to interconnect two of these