[c-nsp] Recommendations for bridging/tunneling hardware

Yuri Lukin lists at swaggi.com
Wed Sep 12 08:20:09 EDT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:14:45 -0700, Hal Epstien wrote
> Hi folks! We're trying to determine a low cost solution to bridge
> 802.11Q vlans over the internet between two locations. We are
> thinking of using IOS with bridge groups and a IPIP or GRE tunnel
> between the two locations. Encryption is not required.
>
> Peak traffic is about 50Mbps and will be on fast ethernet. Not sure
> how many packets per second...
>
> Right now we are using some HP DL145 servers running linux and vtun
> to do this. It seems to work well, but I'd like to replace the
> servers with more reliable devices.
>
> We are considering the 3600 series products to do this, but I'm not
> sure how they will hold up under the kind of traffic levels we are
> looking at.
>
> Any suggestions?

I recently went through the same scenario. Our requirements were roughly the
same and we decided on L2TPv3 with a 3745 and a 3845 as endpoints for the
tunnel. I don't think the 3600 series supports L2TPv3. We will be implementing
this in about two weeks so I will let you know how well it works (worked well
in the lab).

I'm curious to see your linux/vtun solution, perhaps you can share it off-list?

 Yuri