[c-nsp] Recommendations for bridging/tunneling hardware

Hal Epstien hal.epstien at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 02:14:45 EDT 2007

Hi folks! We're trying to determine a low cost solution to bridge
802.11Q vlans over the internet between two locations. We are thinking
of using IOS with bridge groups and a IPIP or GRE tunnel between the
two locations. Encryption is not required.

Peak traffic is about 50Mbps and will be on fast ethernet. Not sure
how many packets per second...

Right now we are using some HP DL145 servers running linux and vtun to
do this. It seems to work well, but I'd like to replace the servers
with more reliable devices.

We are considering the 3600 series products to do this, but I'm not
sure how they will hold up under the kind of traffic levels we are
looking at.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hal