[c-nsp] DC powering for 3845 router

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Sep 12 09:51:42 EDT 2007

Whoops.  I forget to click send last night.

Without checking the load in person I can say for certain that we aren't
powering them with my than 15a -48VDC circuits.  Anything bigger than
15a and we add a set of dedicated breakers on one of the main bus bars
in the distribution frame.  15a or under and we pull them off the
distribution panel mounted in each rack.

Shooting from the hip I would say that our's are probably pulling no
more than 2-3a per PSU.  I'd have to check to be sure though.  I've got
loaded 3845s and idle 3845s to check too.  I'll get back with you.

It's one thing to budget for the max rating but it's another thing to
budget for the realistic load.  Each of our 7613s has a pair of 4000w DC
PSUs in them.  Each PSU has 3 40a leads.  However the last time I
checked each chassis was pulling no more than 25a across all 6 leads.  I
should check that again now that we have a little more load on the boxes.

Our plant folks freaked when I gave them the potential max load for our
2 7613s.  Apparently the potential load of 480a was more than what the
roomful of old DC0 equipment.  They were much more relaxed when we
actually powered one of the units online with the Sup and started adding
modules one by one.   They did have to add 2 frames of batteries and an
additional charger to cover my additional load plus everything else they
added to the CO.

My advice would be to always cable for the max load.  Fuse each PSU for
the realistic load of the entire chassis (assuming 1 PSU failure) unless
you're dealing with fuses greater than 15a in which case you're probably
actually talking about breakers in a power frame.  You could overload
you DC plant if you fuse to the max load if the plant isn't capable of
handling it, potentially taking down everything and possibly damaging
your DC plant.  Plan your power capacity based on your utilization
growth vs your needs for outage duration.  Always check your current
load prior to adding any additional equipment including service modules
in the large chassis.

Justin