[c-nsp] High traffic/CPU utilization - 6509

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:05:21 EDT 2007

The error message is about the symptom, not the cause.

There is an unfortunately usual condition with switches and
port-channels: unidirectional links causing layer 2 loops that bypass
spanning-tree controls. The balancing decision of each side may give
one direction a working path, and the other direction a bad path at
some moment (bad cable, bad port etc.)

Putting UDLD (unidirectional link detection) in place can deal with
the issue by shutting down the path, but it won't solve the problem,
just contain it before the network flaps.

Some C6509 modules have also cable diagnostic features,  which may be
useful to find out the problem.

Rubens