[c-nsp] 3750 Metro MPLS

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Sep 18 08:04:55 EDT 2007

Phil Mayers wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 22:47 -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
>> I've got a pair of each.  The ME6524 has been a pretty good router for
>> us so far, other than the lack of L2TP support and no GRE in hardware.
>
> Interesting. The sup720 does GRE in hardware, modulo a few limitations.
> Why doesn't the 6524?

That's a good question.  It was a very silly situation that I was trying
to work around with GRE, L2TP and even AToM.  IIRC L2TP wasn't supported
at all and the RP told me that the GRE tunnel would be handled in
software upon creating the tunnel interface.  AToM wouldn't work because
I couldn't get the IGP and LDP up and running underneath it prior to
bringing up AToM.  I was trying to tunnel across hardware that was
stripping out IS-IS.  Lots of fun...

Justin