[c-nsp] 3550 as a BGP Router

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Mon Sep 24 02:51:47 EDT 2007

Mark Tinka wrote:

>> On this note, I see many folk who have installed
>> Cat3550/3560/3750 without setting an appropriate sdm
>> template.
> For instance, for a 3560 looking to do Layer 2 forwarding
> all its life, and simply needs to run IPv4, IPv6, OSPFv2
> and OSPFv3 for management (SSH, SNMP, e.t.c.), would 'sdm
> prefer vlan' be adequate as routing would be done in
> software?

Routing in software is done only as an exception - when TCAMs are
full or over limit of current SDM template.

3550/3560/3750 do switch/filter/route/apply QoS based on contents of
TCAMs. If something doesn't fit into TCAMs (because of SDM template was
not properly adjusted or just because space run out) functionalities
directing traffic to affected prefixes (that don't fit into TCAMs)
will be process-switched.

So, if You stay within platform limits (SDM template), everything should
run in hardware.

--
"Confidence is what you have before you    |            Łukasz Bromirski
  understand the problem." -- Woody Allen   |        lukasz:bromirski,net