[c-nsp] Routing design question

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Thu Sep 27 01:03:45 EDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Jason Ford wrote:

> 1. put /30 subnets on each link between each 6503 (both at site A
> and B)
> and run a routing protocol like eigrp.

Based on this description, I would probably mesh them at layer-3
using /30s and run an IGP and iBGP between them.  Assuming the site B
networks are relying on the site A eBGP links for Internet transit,
I'd advertise a static default out of the 6500s at site B into the
IGP for use by the networks below them; once the packets hit the site
B 6500s, BGP takes over to make the outbound routing decisions, and
extending the iBGP down one layer below the edge routers gives you an
additional hop to play with in the event you need to perform any
kinds of routing manipulations via manual policies.

No need to mess around with VLANs if there's no clear need to do so.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

	   I don't sound like nobody.

                -- Elvis Presley