[c-nsp] Routing design question

Jason Ford jason at chatinara.com
Wed Sep 26 23:34:40 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have a pretty basic routing design question however wanted to get some
feedback on which approach I should take.

Two sites connected via two gigabit connections. Both sites have two cat
6503's with Sup2/MSFC2 running in native mode. The requirement is to
connect them together in a way that is highly available to the networks
at both sites. One site (we will call it site A) has 2 BGP peers one
connected to each 6503 via gigabit. The other site (site B) just has
some networks under them.

Goals:

1. connect the two sites with gigabit.
2. be able to survive a failure if one link or router goes down
(convergence time acceptable)

Approach 1:

1. Create a vlan on site A pair of 6503's and include the crossconnect
gigabit ports going to site B. Use HSRP to fail an IP between router
pair to point static routes at.
2. Repeat #1 on site B.

Approach 2:

1. put /30 subnets on each link between each 6503 (both at site A and B)
and run a routing protocol like eigrp.

We have a handful of static routes (less than 40) that range from /25 to
/30's connected to each 6503.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

jason