[c-nsp] Multicast tryout

Bob Snyder rsnyder at toontown.erial.nj.us
Tue Apr 1 08:21:38 EDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 5:16 AM, Adam Armstrong wrote:

>> I'm currently looking for some software which can help us test new
>> Multicast configuration
>> in our network. Is any free software which can send multicast stream
>> (video,music,whatever)
>> and some receiver/client software ? (best if Windows/Linux/Mac based)
>
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>
> "VLC media player is a highly portable *multimedia player* for various
> audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3,
> ogg, ...) as
> well as *DVD*s, *VCD*s, and various *streaming* protocols. It can also
> be used as a server to stream
> <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html> in unicast or *multicast*
> in IPv4 or *IPv6* on a high-bandwidth network. "

I would second the recommendation for VLC. I use it a lot when
demonstrating multicast video... Set up a PC/laptop sending on one
side of a router lab, and one on the other side with the video
received being played, and you can see what the impact of convergence
times or oversubscribed links do to the video.

Bob