[c-nsp] OT : IPv6 - Will it hit like an "avalanch"?

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Tue Apr 1 10:54:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Whisper wrote:

> Its quite possibly the the Y2K that we had to have. :)

Not really. The problem with Y2K was the danger of working
systems stop working/behaving as expected.

The problem with IPv4/IPv6 is about growth. When IPv4 blocks reach the
exhaustion point, the public Internet can't keep growing... but current
systems will keep on working.

> Maybe the US DoD and the US government in general will hand back all their
> IPv4 address blocks when they supposedly cut over to IPv6, who knows?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me... There's also the possibility of a
market, instead of the current global (almost free) distribution system.
And it's not foreseeable anyone will give their addresses back, if some
money can be *possibly* made from that at any point in future.

Try http://ipv4.potaroo.net instead...

> The interesting thing in the client space, other than your Cisco ISR's I
> don't think there are any retail modems that do IPv6. Yay Cisco.

Most really don't as we speak, but there it's not a 0% figure.

> A good summary of issues can be found in this document
> http://rip.psg.com/%7Erandy/070722.v6-op-reality.pdf
>
> Got to love Microsoft, XP has a Windows IPv6 stack that doesn't do native
> IPv6 DNS lookups.

Not an issue while IPv4+IPv6 is possible. Vista has this issue solved,
afaik.

> So I'm pretty pessimistic at the moment

Most of my pessimism comes from looking at the number of ASes in the IPv4
routing table, and finding only about 3% of them in the global IPv6
routing table......

Low priority is one thing. Hiding head in the sand is something different.

./Carlos