[c-nsp] OT : IPv6 - Will it hit like an "avalanch"?

Whisper whisper555 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:23:12 EDT 2008

Its quite possibly the the Y2K that we had to have. :)

Maybe the US DoD and the US government in general will hand back all their
IPv4 address blocks when they supposedly cut over to IPv6, who knows?

Jeff Doyle has being going on about it for ages on his Network World
CiscoSubnet blog http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=doyle

Geoff Huston also talks a lot about IPv4 address exhaustion on his site:
http://www.potaroo.net/

The interesting thing in the client space, other than your Cisco ISR's I
don't think there are any retail modems that do IPv6. Yay Cisco.

A good summary of issues can be found in this document
http://rip.psg.com/%7Erandy/070722.v6-op-reality.pdf

Got to love Microsoft, XP has a Windows IPv6 stack that doesn't do native
IPv6 DNS lookups.

So I'm pretty pessimistic at the moment

Let the fun begin.