[c-nsp] NPE-G1 support for jumbo frames

Lasher, Donn DLasher at newedgenetworks.com
Wed Apr 2 14:30:26 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose [mailto:lobo at allstream.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:02 PM
To: Lasher, Donn
Cc: Cisco; Gerald Krause
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] NPE-G1 support for jumbo frames

>Donn, what version of code were you using?  This is pretty scary
>considering that one of the factors of going to NPE-G1 is hoping to
take
>advantage of jumbo frame or at least 1530 on the three ports.

This behavior occurred under every code revision we tested on the
NPE-G2's, which was, 12.4.11T, and 12.2.3x-SB trains. It worked fine on
the PA-FE-TX cards under the same train, just not on the onboard ports.

Again, once the port is forced to 1000, either fiber or copper, any MTU
up to 9216 wasn't a problem (assuming your switch can handle it). Forced
at 100 however, it wouldn't exceed 1500+overhead, which breaks 1500
unfragged inside an MPLS VPN.