[c-nsp] Is port channel between one switch and two other switches possible?

Tom Sands tsands at rackspace.com
Wed Apr 2 17:56:44 EDT 2008

In your access layer scenario, No

  Multi-Chassis Etherchannel is only supported on 6500's with VSS.

When you say "connect to two different 2970's for redundancy" do you
mean that they will each have their own uplink, but also be cross
connected to each other?  Otherwise there really aren't any STP
implications.

Tom Sands
Chief Network Engineer
Rackspace

Peter Olsson wrote:
> We have a 3750 stack that we want to connect to two different
> 2970 switches, for redundancy. Do we have to run this with
> spanning tree, or is it possible to have one port channel
> terminate in two different 2970 switches?
> If it is possible, please email URL to configuration manual,
> or the name of the concept so I know what to search for.
>
> That particular 3750 stack will soon be replaced by a 7609 with
> two switch blades, both WS-X6724-SFP, but I guess that makes no
> difference to the port channel question.
>
> The best answer is probably to replace the two 2970 switches with
> another 3750 stack, but this is currently not in the budget.
>
> Thanks!

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.