[c-nsp] Cisco 2811 and WIC-1DSU-T1.

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Apr 5 01:11:08 EDT 2008

I think that isn't correct.  The V2 introduced the ability to attenuate
output transmission with the "cablelength" parameter.  This would have
required a fundamental redesign of the CSU part of the ASIC chip.  I'm
sure they also took the opportunity to cheapen the WIC down as well. (ie:
their cost to manufacture, not our price we pay)  Likely there were some
timing parameters between the WIC interface and WIC slot that changed, and
the designers didn't want to go back and redesign the WIC or slot silicon
to match the older routers.

As long as Cisco has their stuff manufactured overseas, in Asia, they
are going to have rampant piracy of their parts.  After all it's the
same production factories that are churning out the Cisco parts for
Cisco that are also churning out the counterfeited stuff on the sly for
the pirates.  If Cisco were to shut down all their Asian production
and start making the stuff in the US like they used to do, the piracy
problems would go away.

Ted