[c-nsp] Cat6500 - Support for MPLS and IPv6

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Apr 5 08:05:06 EDT 2008

Stephen Fulton wrote:
> Gert,
>
> FWIW, I spent a lot of time researching the 6500/7600 BU issue in
> preparation for our last round of upgrades.  The best (and most honest)
> answer I got about service provider software features on the 6500 series
> was this:  We'll still support MPLS, IPv6 etc, but new feature may be
> released on the 7600 series first, and made available for the 6500
> series later.  It was also implied that some specific features may not
> make the 6500 code train at all.

That is more or less what I was told, after pushing very hard for honest
answers from people "in the know".

The problem with that statement, as Gert indicated, is that we have no
way of knowing what will make that final category i.e. "wont be
supported" until the version of IOS comes out with a release note entry.

That's no way to run a network...