[c-nsp] changing from ospf to eigrp

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Apr 5 17:45:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:39:44PM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> >> I would like to change our layer 3 switches from ospf to eirgrp.  Is
> >> there a way I can accomplish this on a live system without causing
> >> problems?  Can I run both at the same time?
>
> You realize that if you ever want to run MPLS you need OSPF and not EIGRP.

Not quite correct.  As far as I understand, you need OSPF or ISIS for
MPLS *TE*, but for "plain MPLS" (to be used for MPLS L3 VPN or EoMPLS
pseudowire or such), EIGRP will do just fine.

(Or if not, please don't tell my routers, because they are currently
doing MPLS VPN and EoMPLS with EIGRP "just fine", and I don't want them
to notice that this is impossible and stop doing so...)

> Also, if you ever want to buy a non-Cisco router for your network, you
> can't since you now run EIGRP.

Which is a strong argument indeed.

OTOH, EIGRP *is* a fairly nice protocol - easy to understand and debug,
much nicer knobs to tweak for TE things ("make this link bad for *this*
prefix only"), fairly fast convergence "out of the box", etc.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de