[c-nsp] Cat6500 - Support for MPLS and IPv6

Juno Guy juno.guy31 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:38:23 EDT 2008

I am glad to see someone else open to looking at Juniper!!!

Personally this is the way we are moving (Juniper MX and
J/M-series)....I believe that competition is healthy and noone should be
dependant on a single vendor to bank on (competition is healthy).  We had
some hesitation at first because it was a new OS but let me tell you;
learning JUNOS was the easiest OS to learn ever and it was so far better
than anything else I have ever worked on.  The operation tools (commit,
rollback, test <policy>, JUNOScripting, etc) are superior to anything else I
have worked on and I dont know how I was able to live without them for so
long.  There is a lot of value in Juniper JUNOS software and when
considering a NG network I rather bank on a software that has proven itself
in the SP market for more than 10 years rather than the same OS claiming to
be "modular".

Again, personally I think it is time that we stop becoming so dependant on
Cisco.

If you havent taken the time to look at Juniper let me strong suggest you
do.  They have great hardware, superior software and generally cheaper
cost.  I would urge you not to just take my word for it but take the time to
put the Juniper HW thru its paces and I would bank that it will far surpass
your expectations.

Its time people, its time!!!

-Juno

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 12:44:52AM -0400, Stephen Fulton wrote:
> > FWIW, I spent a lot of time researching the 6500/7600 BU issue in
> > preparation for our last round of upgrades.  The best (and most honest)
> > answer I got about service provider software features on the 6500 series
> > was this:  We'll still support MPLS, IPv6 etc, but new feature may be
> > released on the 7600 series first, and made available for the 6500
> > series later.  It was also implied that some specific features may not
> > make the 6500 code train at all.
>
> Yes, this is about how I understand the situation.
>
> OTOH, 6500 gets software modularity, which is something that we consider
> a *real* must for any decent high-availability environment.  Like in
> "oh, our BGP process is eating all RAM again?  just restart it!" as
> opposed to "reboot the whole box".
>
> I'm aware that SXH is still not fully there, and the whole "we'll release
> patches for bugs so that you don't actually need to upgrade" thing hasn't
> happened yet, but the idea is good, and we want that.
>

> <rant>
> But then, given that the Juniper MX series is priced about the same, and
> doesn't carry any of this sh*t with it, we might finally just forget about
> all this, and jump off the sinking ship (anybody wondering why Cisco's
> stock price is falling all the time?).  Any while a few ISP sales (or not)
> might not really interest Cisco anymore, if these ISPs tell their
> customers
> why they do not buy Cisco gear, and recommend other vendors instead, this
> might have some impact...
> </rant>
>
> gert
>
> --