[c-nsp] Support of VPLS on 7200VXR?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Apr 7 21:14:55 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Jose wrote:

> Hi group.  I came across some mention of VPLS support for
> the 7200VXR on Feature Navigator with the 12.2(33)SRB/C
> IOS.  I'm just curious what kind of VPLS support is
> available for this platform?  I know it can do EoMPLS
> fairly easily but can it actually do site to multi-site
> configurations?  I think I even found some mention of
> this in the archives but mentioned that there could be
> hardware limitations as to how scalable it is.
>
> Thoughts or comments?

Well, I know 12.2(33)SRC has support for the L2VPN BGP
address family feature:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sr/12_2srb/feature/guide/srbgpl2v.html

lab#sh ver | i IOS
Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M),
Version 12.2(33)SRC, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
lab#

lab(config-router)#address-family ?
  ipv4   Address family
  ipv6   Address family
  l2vpn  Address family
  nsap   Address family
  vpnv4  Address family
  vpnv6  Address family

lab(config-router)#address-family l2vpn ?
  vpls  Address Family modifier
  <cr>

lab(config-router)#address-family l2vpn vpls ?
  <cr>

lab(config-router)#address-family l2vpn vpls

We've, however, been advised to use BGP Autodiscovery in
this release with caution, as the code still has a few more
kinks in it that need to be ironed out. Depending on how
long this takes to get fixed, we could consider using
another vendor that has stable support for it already.

We didn't plan to deploy VPLS on our 7200's after we
realized support was not included for this platform :-(.

Cheers,

Mark.