[c-nsp] 6500 vs. 7600 revisited again

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Apr 9 12:09:29 EDT 2008

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> I've been watching all this conflict going on (and coming to the surface very often on this list)
> and i was wondering ....Based on what facts did cisco decide the seperation of the 6500/7600 platforms?
>
> I'm one of the few (would cisco do that if we were many?) like you, who didn't like this decision,
> but is there a possibility that there is something we're missing that actually made cisco follow
> that direction?

We were in the unfortunately position to buy a pair of 7600s right when
the BUs split the 6500 and 7600.  We had to run SR to get CALEA support.
  SR meant no support for the WebVPN linecard or the SLB linecard.  The
7600 itself meant no support for inline IDS for the IDSM2 linecards.
Unfortunately the Dynamic Config Tool allowed just such a system to be
built.  It wasn't until some of the hardware shipped that the errors
were discovered and the shipments came to a halt.  It took months to
sort on the mess.  We had to run SR; there wasn't another choice with
the feature(s) we needed.  Replacing the SLB with an ACE was an easy
fix.  Replacing the WebVPN module took forever to work out.  In the end
it was replaced with a pair of 3845s loaded out with the VPN crypto
modules and SSL VPN licenses.  During that time the RSP720 started
shipping.  However our order wasn't updated to take advantage of the RSP
so we got stuck with the Sup720-3BXL.

Talk about bad timing.

Justin