[c-nsp] Learning L2 switching and spanning tree by doing

Sean Granger sgranger at randfinancial.com
Thu Apr 10 16:19:16 EDT 2008

This is starting to look like the most egalitarian thread in sometime.
Calm down guys, sharing and laughing over common hardships might let
"the others" know we weren't simply always experts in all areas.
Reading a book will only get you so far, right? ;)

Dean Smith wrote:
> If you've ever had a real network....and accidentally created a loop
in an
> environment without spanningtree....and then watched the network melt
and
> all the activity lights go solid....spanning-tree becomes much easier
> understand.

You can learn a lot about spanning tree by RTFM, but that only goes so
far.

If you can find a "FM" that discusses converting from, say, default
PVST
to cross-vendor MST, on a live network across a large campus without an

engineer in every closet with a laptop, serial console, and cell phone,

let me know :-)

The result is typically an unplanned meltdown where everything tries to

talk to everything, or closets of bricks that refuse to talk to
anyone...

Jeff