[c-nsp] Learning L2 switching and spanning tree by doing

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 10 16:39:49 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 03:19:16PM -0500, Sean Granger wrote:
> Reading a book will only get you so far, right? ;)

Reading the *right* book helps a lot :) - and then, it's "build a network,
change things, see it explode, find out why it happened, and swear to
yourself that it won't happen again".

My last spanning tree accident was a stupid HP switch not doing per-vlan
STP (but one single global STP), trying to combine 3 different VLANs into
a single tree and thus randomly disabling links...  of course HP claims
"this is a feature, as pv-STP is cisco proprietary crap, and we're much
superior, we only implement Real Standards".

And no, MST is not the answer - MST? is a question, and the answer is "no".

(MST just doesn't work in an ISP/datacenter environment where VLANs
just happen to be "where needed", and there's hardly any two switches
or trunks carrying the exact same set of VLANs)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de