[c-nsp] Wanting to learn Juniper...

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Fri Apr 11 06:37:30 EDT 2008

* Jonathan Crawford:

> I do have to agree with Ben on this one... shutdown/negation of
> shutdown is one of the last things I would say is
> counter-intuitive... with JunOS the equivalent would be "deactivate
> interfaces ge-0/0/0" to shutdown ge-0/0/0. They are active by
> default when you create the entries for them and commit, but to
> activate a deactivated... it is just "activate interface ..."

Uhm, no.  A deactivated configuration item is considered not to be
present in the configuration at all, which means you cannot reference
that interface anywhere else in the configuration (that would be an
error that prevents you from committing the change).  If you want to
shut down an interface (while keeping it in the configuration), you
need to disable it, and the equivalent of "no shutdown" in that sense
is "delete disable".

Talk about intuitive...

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99