[c-nsp] 7200vxr-npe400/512mb - how much BGP?

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Sun Apr 13 11:55:19 EDT 2008

* skeeve at skeeve.org (Skeeve Stevens) [Sun 13 Apr 2008, 16:55 CEST]:
> Just how much BGP should a 7200vxr-NPE400 with 512MB of RAM be able to
> handle.

Are you seeing problems?  I'm loading 1.8 million paths in exactly such
a router, with plenty headroom.  Some IOS versions leak memory like a
sieve (and some leak only a little), though.  This is 12.2(28)SB10, an
example of the latter; SB6 was an example of the former.  12.2(14)S3 ran
literally for years and years on this particular router.

> When should I start worrying about how big the tables are growing and
> so on?

When the router starts complaining about lack of memory.  Personally my
biggest worry with the above router is convergence time after more than
a few BGP peers flap (which has actually gotten much better with SB over S).

	-- Niels.