[c-nsp] 7200vxr-npe400/512mb - how much BGP?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sun Apr 13 13:34:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Just how much BGP should a 7200vxr-NPE400 with 512MB of RAM be able to
> handle.
>
> The router currently says "Total: 466497056, Used: 200153224, Free:
> 266343832"
>
> When should I start worrying about how big the tables are growing and so on?

512 MB is the minimum I'd consider using for a router that will be
carrying full BGP feeds, but in this case, the limiting factor might not
be memory availability, but rather the CPU, since everything in the 7200
series is done in software.  Do you notice your CPU usage spiking
periodically (around once a minute), and is a large chunk of the CPU tied
up un the BGP Scanner process?

If you have a tool for graphing and trending stuff like that over time
(MRTG, Cricket, many others), you may want to set up something to monitor
that CPU utilization, paying attnetion to both the 5 second and 5 minute
CPU utilization values in the MIBs.  The 5 second value will help you
catch transient spikes that get washed out of the 5-minute average
values.  The output ends up more closely resembling the output of "show
proc cpu hist".  When the utilization starts regularly getting close to
100%, it's time to think about an upgrade.

I wouldn't worry so much about one or two errant spikes, but when things
regularly get that high, it could manifest itself in the form of increased
latency in getting traffic through the box, or if things get bad enough,
the router starts missing BGP update messages or similar messages for your
IGP, and sessions/adjacencies can start dropping, which only makes the CPU
thrashing problem worse.

jms